Pillow (Re) Sham: Put a Bird on It

While I was pretty proud of my knitted pillow sham when I blogged about it last month, the luster quickly wore off. As it turns out the different types of yarn I knit together all stretched out a little differently, and now I have a sort of oblong sack that wont stay on my pillow. And worse, having a part wool pillow sham on your bed in hot desert weather is about as much fun as it sounds. So, while on a trip to JoAnns today trying to avoid the thunder storms that put a damper on my day I stumbled upon some very fun fabric for a new pillow case. I know I don't exactly live in Portland, but still, I figured why not put a bird on it.

Below is a little diagram of the quick (10 minutes!) process of making this cotton pillow sham from 1/2 yard of 45" wide fabric. It takes no buttons, no patience, and only straight seams.


First, fold in 2 inches on each selvage and stitch wrong sides together. Use contrasting thread for pizazz.

Next fold about 10 inches towards the middle on one side, and about 12 inches on the other, this time with RIGHT sides together. There should be at least a few inches of overlap.

Stitch along the top and bottom. Turn rightside out.


Comments

Popular Posts